Who Owns GMC?
General Motors (GM) owns GMC (General Motors Truck Company). GM is an American auto manufacturer known for heavy-duty pickup trucks and high-class sport utility vehicles like the GMC Sierra. GMC is one of GM’s many subsidiaries, which includes Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, and more. Learn more about the top-rated brand, manufacturing plants, and its history at Riverside Buick GMC!
Where is GMC Made?
GMC has headquarters in Detroit, Michigan. GMC vehicles are built at a handful of GM’s North American and Canadian plants.
- Fort Wayne Assembly Plant in Roanoke, Indiana builds the Sierra.
- Arlington Assembly Plant in Arlington, Texas builds the Yukon and Yukon XL.
- Lansing Delta Township Assembly Plant in Delta Township, Michigan builds the Acadia.
- Shreveport Operations in Shreveport, Louisiana builds the Canyon.
- Wentzville Assembly Plant in Wentzville, Missouri builds the Savana.
- CAMI Assembly Plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada builds the Terrain.
History of the General Motors Truck Company
Learn about GMC’s journey through the automotive industry:
- Max Grabowsky founded Rapid Motor Vehicle Company, which developed some of the world’s first trucks.
- General Motors acquired Rapid Motor in 1909, resulting in the General Motors Truck Company.
- In 1912, the company released the first mass-produced truck. Over 22,000 were sold.
- During WWII, the company became an important provider to the U.S. military and manufactured over 600,000 trucks for its use.
Fun Fact: GMC and Chevrolet trucks are manufactured in the same plants using the same parts. Their trims are different, however.
Explore the GMC Lineup at Riverside Buick GMC!
Are you ready to get behind the wheel of a new GMC vehicle or looking to learn more about the GMC Canyon towing capabilities? Visit our dealership near Rome during showroom hours, and we’ll get you behind the wheel for a test drive. Contact us with any questions. Be sure to browse our current offers and incentives on new models like the Sierra, Yukon, and Acadia.
More from Riverside Buick GMC
The 2020 GMC Acadia boasts impressive detail and precise design within its interior. This mid-size, 7-seat SUV is available with options or accessories that’ll make you want to drive around Rome all day long. Learn more about the dynamic control features, roomy cargo area, and more the 2020 GMC Acadia interior has to offer you…
The 2019 GMC Yukon has a spacious and high-tech interior, strong towing capabilities, and plenty of configurations to choose from, giving Rome families a vehicle that provides everything they need and then some. Learn more about the GMC Yukon configurations at Riverside Buick GMC and drive off in your favorite. Learn MoreBrowse Inventory GMC Yukon Trim Levels Yukon…
The 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 towing capacity reaches up to 12,200 pounds when properly equipped. Explore GMC Sierra towing capability at Riverside Buick GMC to find out how easy your towing tasks in Rome can be, then browse our inventory to find a new GMC Sierra 1500 for sale to improve your Canton drive! Learn More New Inventory How Much Can…